School Administrative Officer
A school administrative officer is responsible to the principal or the supervisor for providing assistance in school routines, classroom activities and financial and administrative matters.
A school administrative officer can be required to undertake the following duties:
- Undertaking, under the supervision of the principal and/or the school administrative manager, the day to day banking, bookkeeping and general accounting duties including receipting and ordering.
- Assisting the principal and/or school administrative manager with end of year financial procedures by way of computerised/manual systems.
Office and Reception
- Undertaking routine telephone duties, taking messages, noting appointments and other reception duties.
- Drafting of routine correspondence.
- Preparing correspondence.
- Maintaining filing, indexing or record systems.
- Collecting, distributing and posting mail.
- Operating and caring for office and/or classroom equipment and machinery.
- Arranging quotations for the purchase, maintenance and disposal of office and classroom equipment.
- Arranging quotations for minor maintenance.
- Using computer based programs/systems to design, layout and print school publications and learning materials.
- Photocopying, duplicating and printing/binding of school documents and learning materials.
- Recording, transcribing and collating information including operation of computerised administrative systems.
- Ordering, purchasing, receiving, despatching and stocktaking materials, goods and consumables, including compiling orders, unpacking, checking, sorting, shelving and storing items and maintaining inventories.
- Servicing school committees including processing and distribution of minutes.
Teacher and Student Support
- Preparing and maintaining learning environments and materials including:-
- maintaining equipment, learning material and resources at a suitable standard; and
- maintaining work areas in a clean and tidy state.
- Caring for and comforting sick or distressed students.
- Administering first aid subject to the school assistant having a current St John' First Aid Certificate or equivalent and receiving the first aid allowance.
- Using computerised library systems for accessioning, ordering, invoicing, monitoring of expenditure, cataloguing, data input and retrieval.
- Assisting teachers in classroom and other activities:
- implementation of learning and other programs, under the supervision of a teacher, including library, physical education, sport and recreation activities;
- monitoring (i.e. checking, observing and recording) student behaviour when teachers are periodically absent from the school library;
- assisting with the supervision of students in the library during recess and lunch breaks;
- assisting students with library research;
- settling in new students;
- helping infant students with toileting, ablution and dressing;
- assisting with the organisation of excursions; and
- implementation of learning and other programs, under the supervision of a teacher, in science laboratories.
- Within home science areas washing up, spot cleaning of floors, spot cleaning of windows within arms reach whilst standing on the floor, laundering of home science tea towels, aprons etc.
- Managing lost property and clothing pools.
Undertaking other related duties as determined by the principal or the supervisor.