Aboriginal Education Officers (AEOs)
Revised December 2009 and effective Term 1 2010.
Responsible to the Principal or delegate for providing assistance to teachers, Aboriginal students and their families to support improved learning outcomes for Aboriginal students.
Statement of Duties
Working with teachers:
Working as part of a school team to support students:
- to assist Aboriginal students in all school activities including excursions
- to discuss with Aboriginal parents the educational progress of their children
- to identify and develop resources to support the learning outcomes of Aboriginal students
- to assist in the development and implementation of personalised learning plans for Aboriginal students
- to support Aboriginal cultural awareness for all students with particular reference to Aboriginal students
- to help maintain effective relationships between Aboriginal parents, the Aboriginal community and school staff.
Liaising with the Principal and staff:
- in relation to their school participation and programs
- in relation to their attendance and retention.
- on protocols for interacting with the Aboriginal community in relation to staff and Aboriginal students in the school and Aboriginal education activities.
Performing other related duties as required by the Principal.
Note: the school must not require an Aboriginal Education Officer to accept responsibility for class management and control, playground supervision or teaching students.